Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Josephine Baker & Robert Kelly Smithey ... 1972


So, Josephine Baker called me to say, I will be in Marbella to do a show .. Be there.. So, I buy a new Piaget watch to show off for her .. The Chagal Jean Negulesco was kind enough to bring into Spain for me was on the wall in the boutique, original work.. I drove there in my new Fiat top of the line sedan . The paparazzi were waiting, she sang my favorite song 'La vie en Rose' .. After the show I took her to Menchu Escobar's private club 'Bar Menchu'... I drove her around for the run of the show .. she was a real lady, so many men would send over a bottle of champagne and she would always send it back. One night Prince Alfonso Hohenlohe the owner of the Marbella Club Hotel .. said to us "lunch at the beach club". The next day, I pick her up at her Spanish Villa and we go. It was the Prince with his Princess, Jackie Lane, she was an actress, a star of an Elvis movie etc.. a real BOMBSHELL.. Count Rudi von Schonburg the director of the hotel, and his wife / Princess Marie Louise of Prussia, a real important Princess top title, cousin of the Queen of Spain, Josephine and myself, we talked about her doing the gala there, only could not agree on the money.. JB had a lot of expensive adopted children to feed and always needed money. So we left with no deal. I took her back to her Villa and she received a call from multi-millionare German playboy Gunter Sachs who was the boyfriend of Bridget Bardot. I knew him from St. Moritz, I was there staying at the Palace Hotel with Cappy Badruit - he said to tell her to come to St. Moritz , Switzerland and do his infamous Dracula Club.. I told him about the Marbella Club lunch and he said to me " tell her the money was on the table".. So, she went, and blew the roof off of the place . Princess Grace Kelly of Monaco was there and from then on it was all about Grace and they were best girl friends.. She went to Monaco and did the Red Cross Ball.. I was in New York when I got the call from Jean she had died and I was sad glad I had my portrait she had made of me as a souvenir in Montmartre Paris at that church

...