Monday, January 3, 2011

Marie-Helene' de Rothschild ..




So, Jean Negulesco returned to Marbella. He introduced me to Josephine Baker at 'Castels' night club in Paris.. He  told me stories about Jazz age Paris..  The Tango, Ballet, the leaps of Nijinsky, the unjust death of Modigliani, the excitement of Pascin, Sartre, Proust, Cocteau, Coty the perfumer - I knew his daughter in law Elizabeth Coty.. Jean knew the Riviera crowd, Isadora Duncan, etc. he lived in 1920's Paris and the 1930's Hollywood this is the back story - the Blogger story is : So, Jean Negulesco the film director  - tells his wife Dusty, about the nightclub and Josephine Baker .. and she tells her next door neighbor in the famous ' Marbella Club Hotel'  -  Marie-Helene de Rothschild married to  Guy the head of  the  whole banking  family ..  All of a sudden Marie is now my new best friend, and comes into the boutique, with Baron Alexis de Rede' who was  Jewish too and  gay and he lived in Paris too at there Hotel Lambert in 1975.. I had know her since 1972 she came into my old Marbella boutique..   She said, very seriously,  "I can't buy a dress." Yves Saint Laurent " would KILL ME", but, you can say I do !!  On my next trip to New York, I told Eugenia Sheppard and Earl Blackwell the society impresario of "Celebrity Service" and Eugenia put it in the New York Herald-Tribune "Inside Fashion" her column, she preceded "Womans Wear Daily", was the one you had to impress if you were a designer. I took Eurgenia  to lunch at Orsini's once in New York City and Oscar de la Renta came over to our table  he was the partner of Ben Shaw and  Joe Norban had her in his pocket but that is another story ..  The kicker is - So, Marie-Helene de Rothschild was a snob until she saw me in the magazines with Josephine Baker and when  Liza Minnelli did her show in Marbella, Spain  'Liza with a Z' Marie had a table next to our  table and didn't talk to our table, but then she invited us  back to her house and Liza sang  on her roof..  She the Rothschilds produced the movie 'Cabaret'..... After she saw me in the magazines with Josephine Baker, I couldn't get rid of her !! She would come into the boutique in the Puerto Banus in the 1970's  she was top of the pyramid because of her money but I didn't think she was funny or that good looking .... She was such a snob ..