Monday, February 27, 2012

Raul Julia .... "The Addams Family" ........

So, It was 1990 and I'm at the bar. It was the Academy Awards Show at the Shriners Auditorium in Hollywood the year that Kevin Costner won for "Dances with Wolves" .. when long time friend Edward James Olmos came over to say hello .. we had a couple of drinks and listen to Bob Hope and Madonna telling some wild story next to us when who should show up to say hello to Edward but Raul Julia and I was introduced to him by Mr. Olmos and we hit it off and we stayed and talked a little while Edward and the others went back to there seats .. So, in 1991 he invited me to have lunch on the set of the 'Addams Family'. He knew I wanted to meet Anjelica Huston who I had told him, that I was a big fan of her father and her, that night at the show. I tell this story because of the Awards show last night and the people that have died.. Raul Julia was from San Juan , Puerto Rico and had a stroke in 1994 .. he was discovered by no other than Orson Bean .. I saw him in the 1982 stage show of 'Nine' when he played the Fellini-esque film director .. I loved his character in "Addams Family" .. Puerto Rico gave him a state funeral, as well they should. He was a lovely man and was very concerned about the children and hunger. He gave me a picture , again a lovely man .. gone to soon !!!!