Monday, March 5, 2012

Writers & Artists Agency ...

So, In 1996 I was living in West Hollywood full time. My boutique in Marbella, Spain in the Puerto Banus had gone bankrupt in 1993 due to a Spanish recession. I had a car crash March 5, of 1995 that left me with a lot of legal bills and some injury and my main source of income was a deal with Joan Scott at 'Writers and Artists Agency' in Westwood, California at that time it was the sixth largest literary/talent agency and had an office in Rome. So, I get a phone call from the president of the agency, Mr. John Barkworth who had been my agent for a long time. He was from Canada and his clients were Bo Derek, Patrick Duffy, as actors and novelist John Grisham as writer to name a few.. also he was the agent for Nanette Fabray the MGM Star and a "Tony" winner from 1939 ... and Brenda Fricker who had made 30 films and won the Oscar in 1990 as supporting actress for "My Left Foot" again to name a few !! This was a good deal for me it was to write 'Movie Treatments' for Showtime about old Hollywood in a Film Noir type fashion. They were about my friends like Jennifer Jones, Linda Christian, Jean Negulesco, Josephine Baker, Madeline Carrol, stories about them and other stories that they had told me about Hollywood and people that they had known in there time. On cold winter nights in the south of Spain a little bit drunk they would talk if you know what I mean, like a story about Errol Flynn/Ty Power, homosexual stuff, you get the picture !! I needed the money !! It paid well too !! So, when John called me up in June of 1996 and said that Nanette Fabray had three tickets to the Tony Awards and that she was a presenter and did I want to go with them and stay at the Regency Hotel on Park Avenue .. I thought it was best, I say yes. They flew out and then I took the Red Eye later that night.. I check in to the Hotel the next morning and that night we go to the Tony Awards at the Majestic Theatre and I see and talk to John Lithgow who I had lunch with on the set of "Out Cold" with him and Teri Garr.. Also I talked with Ben Vereen, who I knew from Spain and Beatrice the Duchess of Sevilla. Ben was a presenter as well.. and Nathan Lane was the host, it was the 50th show and a blast... all was well or so I thought !! The next thing I know, Joan Scott sent her lawyer to fire John Barkworth, not sure of all the water that was under there bridge but I guess it was the last straw between them.. John loses his mind!!!! I mean he lost all reality!!! If you have ever experienced someone who has gone mad/crazy it is a horrible thing, scary and sad.. Part of his problem was sleep deprivation, effects from no sleep. His clients all want a piece of him and he gave it to them at all hours day or night, always picked up the check.. So, he started to have hallucinations!! Nanette bailed on him and left it up to me to get him back to California.. I put sunglasses on him and acted like nothing was wrong and got him back to his apartment on Fountain Avenue in West Hollywood off of Sunset. But, I had things to do and had to leave him there alone.. Then later the next day I get a call from Brenda Fricker who as it turned out was the only other client that would return his phone calls and cared at all, the rest took the side of Joan Scott.. John had been picked up by the police on Santa Monica Blvd. 'naked' and they took him downtown to the county mental hospital.. I go down but there is nothing I can do for him so I get the key to his apartment so Brenda and I can feed his dog etc.. to be continued .............