Sunday, December 19, 2010

Josephine Baker & Robert Kelly Smithey ...




So, when Jean Negulesco said, "I am going to introduce you to Josephine Baker". I played it cool. I didn't know who she was!! We were at "Castel's" night club upstairs at a table for two when she walked in the place like she owned it. I knew she must be a very big deal by the way Jean looked at her .. and the fact that Jean Castel at the bar let her go right down and not have dinner first upstairs .. very few people ever did that.. Jean and I were on our way to Maxim's, but then decided to go downstairs to the small Disco in the basement, small but very exclusive only the top, coolest people ever went down there, so, when "The Jackson Five" came on the record library, we made our move over to her table and he introduced me and I asked her to dance.. She was on me like an overcoat!! The best dancer. I had hired a driver for my 1972 V.W. red bus with New York plates because, I had taken some LSD. My bus was outside, in front of the club. The next thing I know, we are all at Maxim's, and she has her hand on my knee!!! When we walked in , every jaw dropped to the floor. I asked Jean, what was up with that!! He said, "she is a big star and they have seen you nude in the Paris Match magazine", It's a scandal already, will be all over Paris by tomorrow morning... We had champagne and Yves Montand and Alain Delon both came over to say hello to her.. We didn't stay late because Jean had an early flight back to Spain.. Josephine and Jean knew everybody, everybody, you name it, Modigliani, Brancusi, Jean Cocteau, Picasso. I was up front with the driver, we took Jean to his hotel. Then I got in the back with Josephine, on the way to my apartment.. My place was at 69 Blvd. de Beausejour in the 16 Arrondissement. A chic place. It was on the first floor of a Deco style eight story building with french doors out to a garden , park bench , a big tree , then a wall then the sidewalk, huge bathroom. I even had a - bagatelle - phone number that is about as chic as it gets in Paris. I didn't so much as wake up the next day as 'came to'!! We had our coffee out in the garden and later I took her out to see "Last Tango In Paris" and she had my portrait done at the Basilica Sacre Coeur church ..
We went to the Lido and I saw some showgirls.. I had to go back to work in my boutique in Marbella and left after a two week whirl - wind of night life.. I bought a new Fiat sedan in Marbella, when I got back and put a Chagal in the boutique.. I took Josephine out in my new Fiat when she came down to do a show in Marbella on the Costa del Sol.. She would not say much was saving her voice. The first black superstar, and the richest black women of that time, only she was always broke, because she had all those adopted children to take care of, she had to keep working. I didn't know much about her someone told me about the scandal that involved Walter Winchell she started the infamous "Confidential" scandal magazine, and all this celebrity gossip of today, with that scandal.. With our age and race thing I can see now why all the uproar the gossip. She was the daring girl of the Roaring Twenties. The young lady who would dare cross the line and I was a non conformist "Hippie" from the states !!!